Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Carl Espen: A down to earth and honest artist

Photo: NRK
MGP interview alert! He is one of the participants from the 3rd semifinal and the preview of his song "Silent storm" is very promising. Here are the answers of CARL ESPEN:

Name: Carl Espen Thorbjørnsen
Age: 31
Birthday: 15.07.1980
Height: 1.78
Favorite Color: Blue
Favourite food: Pinnekjøtt, a Norwegian traditional dish. The ribs of a lamb steam cooked for hours. So tender!
Shoe Size: 42. 43 on a good day. 
Eye color: Blue/grey
Where are you right now?: I am in Oslo, Norway, in a Micro Brewery. 
3 things that makes you happy: Music, payday and social gatherings.
What’s your strangest talent?: I can custom make a mirror, shaped in any form and size you like. 
Do you have any nicknames?: Oh, so many. What would you call me?
Home alone and your bored. What do you do? I would have a beer and watch a good movie. 
What is the strangest thing you have in your room? I have blue LED lights in my kitchen...
What are you really good at? Cooking
What are you really bad at? Cooking
Childhood idol: My uncles. One being a punk rock singer and one being a spiritual guy. 
Childhood memory: 8 eight years old, alone in a boat, early in the morning, fishing. Beautiful! 
What would you do if you were invisible? Sneak into my bank and adjust my balances to the better.
Craziest thing you've ever done: Entered the Eurovision Song Contest. 
Favorite movie: Django unchained
Favorite TV series: Game of Thrones and True Detective
Tell me a super power you wish you had: Flying
What's your favorite part of your body? My calvs  
What is your guilty pleasure? The Swedish artist Robin
Name a song that never fails to make you happy: "Girlfriend in a coma" by The Smiths
Tell me some of your bad habits: Snuff (as in the chewing tobacco, NOT the snuff where you make movies about killing and torturing people.)
If you were a product, how would you sell yourself? "Carl Espen - Just can't get enough!" 
When did you start singing? At the age of 15, but there has always been singing in my life. 
Can you teach me some interesting words in Norwegian? Bekkalokk (Man hole) Lutefisk (Fermentet, salted, dried fish, that lies in water for three days before you eat it. When it's ready it's like jello:)
If you were the journalist what would you ask to Carl Espen? and tell me your answer. 
Your question: Hi Carl Espen, Do you wanna go and grab a beer? My answer: Yes, please! 
Hello Carl, how are you?
Hi, I'm fine thank you. It's been an amazing day! 

How would you describe yourself as an artist?
Down to earth and honest

You are one of the 15 finalists of MGP 2014, how did it all begin?
I've had a dream about singing since I was 15 years old. I entered a local music competition on the Island where I grew up, and performed "Wild World" by Cat Stevens. The songwriter and my cousin, Josefin Winther, was standing in the audience. 12 years old. I won the competition and she was so proud. She then became an artist, and has now released several albums. She has always wanted more people to hear my voice, and finally she sat down and wrote a song exclusively for me. "Silent Storm" came to life, and she showed it to me. I knew instantly that this was my song, and we entered the competition. The rest is history. 
"Silent storm" is the title of your song and its written by Josefin Winther, how was it to work with her?
I'm extremely happy to have Josefin on my team. She has the experience and the know-how in the industry. 
What can you tell me about the song? whats the story behind it?
My dear cousin wrote it for me, and I feel that it really manages to express my emotions and my life situation. I feel that I have something inside me, and I just don't know how to let it out. Josefin has also pointed this out, and with this song she wanted to give me the opportunity to express it. I have passed 30 and I know that I have more to show than I have so far. When you keep feelings inside you over time, it can feel like you have a "Silent Storm" inside. The song is about living with this feeling, and still hoping that "someday I'll be calm." 

Describe the song with 4 words:
Fragile, intense, powerful, hopeful. 

Lets talk about the performance, what can we expect to see on stage?
My main focus in the performance is to be truly present in the words I sing. When singing this song, my mind can't be anywhere else. So I am working very hard to be able to there in the moment every time I sing it. The stage will look like a storm in the making. A slow build up, from the near and fragile, to the breathtakingly intense and powerful. 
What do you like about Eurovision?
The opportunity it gives to artists and songwriters, regardless of their previous experience. This is all about the quality of the voice and the song. Simple as that.

Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word:
2013: Entered Eurovision
Fear: Bees
Watermelon: Summer
Clones: No thank you
Stage: Fun
Night: Dark
MGP: Fun 
Norway: Very nice
Thunder: Lightning
Dreams: Come true
What are your plans for 2014?
Doing my absolute best in the Eurovision Song Contest, and performing as much as possible.
Is there anything you want to say to close the interview?
I'm really looking forward to this opportunity, and to sing for Norway, and hopefully Europe! 


Thanks to Carl for the interview! Wish him all the best in MGP! Cant wait to listen to the full version of his song!

Here is his official website: www.carlespen.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carlespenofficial
Instagram: http://instagram.com/carlespen

No comments:

Post a Comment