Monday, January 13, 2014

Hukka ja Mama: It’s pop but from the organic shelf

Photo: Noora Isoeskeli
Hello! Lets start this week with a new UMK interview! They were one of the best acts in the 1st heat, they are very talented, their song is beautiful and I love them. Here are the answers of Lasse Hukka from HUKKA JA MAMA:

Name: Lasse Hukka
Birthday: December 8th
Height: Medium tall
Favorite Color: Blue
Favourite food: Red Curry Tofu
Eye color: Greyish
What do you do in the band: I compose, write the lyrics, play some instruments and sing
Where are you right now? At home
3 things that makes you happy: Love, existence and mystery
What’s your strangest talent? I don’t know
Do you have any nicknames? Laaser, Lituska, Hojo 
What is the strangest thing you have in your room? Myself
What are you really good at? Composing songs
What are you really bad at? Navigating 
Childhood idol: John Frusciante
Childhood memory: I was sitting on a playground swing, closed my eyes and watched towards the sun. The colors on my eyelids changed from orange to red as I was swinging. I just enjoyed the warmth of the sun, the movement and the colors.
Tell me something no one knows about you: Last night I woke up and I didn’t remember who I was and where I was. I really had to shake myself awake. Luckily, in 10 seconds I was back here.
What would you do if you were invisible? First I would do all kinds of crazy shit, but after a while I’d just hope to be visible again.
Favorite movie: Lost in Translation
Favorite tv series: Six Feet Under - Twin Peaks
Tell me a super power you wish you had: Perhaps the ability to fly
What is your guilty pleasure? Watching how many likes there are on Hukka ja Mama facebook or how many plays there are on Soundcloud etc.
Name a song that never fails to make you happy: John Frusciante – Every Person
When did you start singing and writing? Around 1999
Can you teach me some interesting words in finnish? Nappula = a button, Hepuli = a state where you can’t stop laughing 
If you were the journalist what would you ask to Hukka ja Mama? and tell me your answer
Q: When is your record coming out? A: This year
Hello, The 1st UMK heat is over and you are one of the semifinalists! How do you feel right now?
I’m happy to be onboard! It’s a joyride.

Lets start talking about the band, what can you tell me about it? when did you start playing together? 
2011 we started to make recordings. We’ve been more active on that area than playing live. 
How would you describe Hukka ja Mama?
The music is sweet but it has a longing mood in it. So it’s like a candy that has salmiakki-powder inside. Lyrics can be simple and therefore a bit naïve. It’s pop, but from the organic shelf.

Tell me about the name of the band: 
My last name is Hukka and and our singer’s nick name is Mama, so the translation is Hukka and Mama. In Finnish hukka is a synonym for wolf, or it can also be used when you lose something. For example: I lost it = hukkasin sen
UMK 2014! How did it all begin?
We had a bunch of songs already mixed and mastered and unpublished. We wanted to draw some attention to us so we sent Selja to UMK14. I didn’t expect them to contact us from UMK, I must say. 

"Selja" is the title of your UMK entry. What is the song about? what's the story behind the song? what made you write it?
Selja is a girl’s name. The song is about when you fall in love with someone who don’t even know that you have such feelings. You start cumulating plans of how you’ll live happily ever after. It’s like children’s play. At some level you very well know the play is not true, but still you want to believe so. It’s similar to the feeling when you fall in love in a dream - in the morning you still feel in love, but you just have to shake it of and go about your day. In real life you can of course confess your love to your Selja, but it’s scary, because you don’t know what he/she will answer, so sometimes it’s nicer not to confess and in that way hold onto the sweet feeling 
Photo: Noora Isoeskeli
Describe the song with 4 words
She loves me. Not.

How did you feel on stage for the 1st heat performance?
I saw the video of it. We looked pretty serious, and that's because we were so nervous.  

You were one of the favorites from the juries and public, how do you feel about that?
It feels amazing. They said such sweet things about Selja. It gave us confidence to be just what we are.
Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word:
Sun: Yellow
Pop: Lady Gaga
2013: Music technology
Friends: Simo and Jaakko
Candy: Chocolate
Water: Hurts (the band)
Finland: Reindeer
Crayons: Violet
Eurovision: Glitter explosion
UMK juries: I send hugs to them
We are getting a Hukka ja Mama album, right? what can we expect from it?
Every song has it’s own mood. There is more mysterious stuff and there some easy-to-connect kind of stuff. The soundscape will be playful, minimalistic and musical. I also sing more.

What are your plans for 2014?
It feels the ball is rolling and we just let it roll, and we do our best to support it’s movement. Hopefully we will perform live a lot.  
Is there anything you want to say to close the interview?
Thank you for your questions, it’s been a pleasure!

Thanks to Lasse for his answers! I love Hukka ja Mama and i cant wait to get more of their music!

Here is their official website: http://hukkajamama.fi/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hukkajamama
Twitter: https://twitter.com/HukkajaMama
Instagram: http://instagram.com/hukkajamama

Here is the official video of their UMK song "Selja"


Here is a quick translation of the song made by Hukka:
Just when I got you out of my mind
You are back, Selja
You took off to Milky Way
Just to come back stronger, Selja
You read me like I’m an open book
Even when we’re quiet, we talk
It should never happen
That only one falls into love
The only positive response comes from my imagination
In the darkness I sense the sparkle in your eyes
Could I just forget you, actually, I don’t want to
We were a perfect match, at least I thought so
With my eyes I heard that you’re my soulmate
It should never happen
That only one falls into love
The only positive response comes from my imagination
Why can’t I forget you?
I am crazy
For too long I’ve believed in a dream
Q: What if you fall in love in a dream?
A: It should never happen
Q: Even if I feel it’s real?
A: You just have to forget about it
Q: I lost you when I woke up
A: you just have to forget about it
Selja!
Uu uu
We are a couple in some parallel universe

No comments:

Post a Comment